Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Toronto tales of Esther Bunny



Dear stuffed animals and other friends,

Now my mom does like to take me travelling with her. She says that I am good company and no trouble at all - which is very true.

Now more on my latest adventure. My mom had gone off to do whatever she does on these retreat things. I was sitting in her room on the windowsill which gave me a great view of the garden and plants and trees.

Was that my imagination or could I see several real bunnies on the edge of that flowerbed? I waved to them with my ears which is how all bunnies communicate. They were waving back.

Bunny semaphore is quite complicated but we did manage to exchange the information that I was to meet them after dark to see what adventures we might have together.

That evening was all was quiet and my mom was asleep - which was quite early anyway - I was able to hop downstairs and out the back door.

There were 3 of my real bunny friends waiting for me on the edge of the flowerbed - right where I had seem them earlier on.

So what was next? They told me about the Toys’ or Us store not too far away that was a great place to check out other stuffed bunnies waiting to go to new homes.

So that is exactly where we went. There was no trouble at all getting into the store for on this warm spring evening the night cleaner had left the door open while he went about his work.

The store was quite intimidating in size until a friendly teddy bear pointed us in the direction of the stuffed animals - especially bunnies.

There was a large number of them on the shelves - of various colours and sizes. It did not take us long to get acquainted. We had all kinds of stories to share.
Suddenly we heard some noise in the next aisle - it was the young cleaner with his mop and duster. We all froze in place - which is something that real bunnies are just as comfortable doing as stuffed ones.

“I do not remember any of these animals being brown,” said the young fellow. No one blinked or moved a whisker or twitched a nose. “I think I need to take an early coffee break.”

He was soon gone on his way and the bunnies continued their conversation for some time - but not for too long. As they were leaving, everyone exchanged bunny hugs with reassurances that everyone would soon be adopted to good homes.

There was one more stop before we left the store - the picture book section. There were so many books there that it was difficult to know where to start. But of course by instinct we soon found the bunny books. It took some time to read them and look at all the pictures and the night time was quickly passing. Pictures and stories of bunnies are always fun to read and can create a giggling time.

We made sure before we left that the books were all returned to their proper place on the shelf and the right side up as well.

It took us no time at all to hop back to my temporary place of residence. We all exchanged some more bunny hugs at the kitchen door of the convent. The early morning staff were just coming on duty - to put on the porridge for breakfast and to maybe start chopping the vegetables for the salad later on the day’s menu.

I managed to carry off a small carrot for a snack - all this hopping about town had left me quite hungry. Bunnies are usually able to do more than one thing at once, so I was able to eat the carrot and return to my mom’s room at the same time.

I snuggled up beside her. I am sure she had not even missed me.

The next morning I was pretty sleepy and quite content to stay curled up on the bed while my mom went about whatever she did at that time of day.

And that is the end of my Toronto tale - or is it tail? I cannot quite remember.
With love and bunny hugs,

Esther Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment